30 minutes 12
- 1 lb. Russet potatoes, peeled
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 tsp. kosher salt, divided
- Canola oil for frying
- Chives, applesauce, and sour cream for serving
- 1Grate potatoes using the medium-sized holes on a grater, then transfer to a bowl of ice water until ready to use. Once ready to use, you will need to squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
- 2In a large bowl, combine the grated potatoes with eggs, flour, and 1 teaspoon of salt.
- 3In a large skillet over medium heat, heat about 1 tablespoon of canola oil. (To test if oil is ready, sprinkle in some flour; if it bubbles and dissolves immediately, the oil is ready.)
- 4Add a few spoonfuls of potato mixture to the oil and pat down to flatten, and fry for three minutes on each side, or until golden and crispy.
- 5Transfer fried latkes to paper towels to drain excess oil and sprinkle with remaining salt.
- 6Serve with chives, applesauce, and sour cream.