1 hour 8
- 5 lbs. collard greens, cleaned
- 1/2 lb. pancetta, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 12 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1Fold each collard green leaf in half and slice away the tough center stem.
- 2Stack the leaves, roll tightly, and slice into 1/2-inch ribbons.
- 3In a 6-8-quart pot cook the pancetta over medium heat for 8 minutes or until crisp and browned.
- 4Remove cooked pancetta with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels; set aside.
- 5Add garlic and 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper to drippings in pot, and cook for 2 minutes.
- 6Add about half of the sliced collard greens to the pot.
- 7Pour in chicken broth and vinegar, then cover and let cook for 5 minutes to allow the collards to cook down.
- 8Add remaining collard greens, cover and bring to a boil.
- 9Reduce heat and simmer on low for 20-30 minutes or until greens are tender, stirring occasionally.
- 10Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- 11Top with cooked pancetta to serve.